Sunday, January 31, 2016

Considering Genre

If you've trudged along with me this far, then you know it's time to choose a mode of attack for this project. I spent some time debating whether a quick-reference guide or a standard essay format would work best for this project. Ultimately, I chose:

  • The Quick Reference Guide! I chose this genre because I'm identifying and describing the different stakeholders in a complicated controversy. Most people haven't done hours of research into why multiple sclerosis medication costs are rising, so they'll need to quickly be brought up to speed. Plus, a QRF will conveniently break down the complex topic into manageable portions. This will significantly ease the burden of writing, and it'll make it easier for my audience to understand what's really going on. 

Peters, Alejandro. "Lights, Camera, Action." 1/31/2016 via flickr. CC Attribution 2.0 Generic.
  • I'm going to need to provide the context for what factors are causing drug prices to rise. At the same time, I need to incorporate MS patients and the way these drug costs affect them. That means I'll have to develop my QRF skills in explaining somewhat distinct facets of a complex topic in a single, easy-to-understand document. The humanistic element to this story is very different from the dry facts and charts. Incorporating both into a single story will definitely require some skill. 

  • Luckily, QRFs require less equipment preparation than video essays or podcasts. This means there isn't a lot of media equipment I need to check out or hunt down. However, the complexity of my topic will force me to really organize the guide and figure out how my sub-topics should be broken down. There are many different ways I could layout the context for this contreversy, and the method I choose will affect how easily my audience gets the bigger picture. Specifically, this means that the QRF will require more brainstorming and outlining than a typical paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment