Sunday, March 6, 2016

My Discipline

Since the focus of this project is on how people in my field communicate among various audiences, it's important to get a sense of who is in my field. For the purposes of this project, I chose medical care and research as my field, rather than chemistry. For that reason, I answer a series of questions about students and professionals in medicine, particularly in the areas of medical research and clinical care:


  • So, what do students preparing for a career in medicine learn to do? Students in medicine need to learn to diagnose patients, communicate effectively with people who need to trust them, and learn to set up experimental trials and conduct studies. 

  • Medical students who get a degree have a wide variety of options available. Many will become clinicians, either in primary care or in one of dozens of sub-specialties. Others may become full-time researchers within the medical field, or they may choose to switch to a career in health library science, consulting, or executive positions within hospital settings. Typically, medical schools seek people who want to be practicing clinicians who treat patients. 

  • I was drawn to this field because I believe medicine is the rare intersection of hands-on practice and the interaction with real people. It also provides avenues for both research and teaching in the future, which I have really enjoyed as a teaching and research assistant. The hours are terrible but it looks to be extremely rewarding.

  • Who are the exciting leaders in this field? I think this is a fairly subjective question, so I will answer with my personal favorites. I think Dr. Marvin Slepian, who helped introduce a working artificial heart and is currently affiliated with the local Sarver Heart Center is a fascinating cardiologist. As for famous organizations, the American Diabetes Association is intimately involved both in primary care as well as playing a large role for certain orthopedic surgeons who specialize in common issues like diabetic foot issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment